The evolution of the online job application has seen the demise of the supporting cover letter. Here at Create & Develop Resourcing HQ we see the cover letter as a great opportunity to stand out from the crowd . Done well, it allows you to elaborate on your experience, hone in on your skills in line with the role your applying for and lets your personality shine through.
Here are some tips on how to structure and create a killer cover!
NB - Remember - it's the first thing your potential new employer will see and first impressions are paramount... and don't forget to spell check!
1. First think about the role you're applying for and the kind of business you're applying to - tailor your cover letter accordingly i.e. More corporate, less creative, more creative, less corporate.
2. Salutation - always formal. Start with "Dear Mr.... / Mrs....." etc. First names are fine if advertised. Avoid "Dear Sirs" or "To Whom It May Concern"
3. Make it personal. A standard one-size-fits-all cut and paste / template application letter is a waste of time and will stand out for all the wrong reasons (lack of effort especially).
4. Begin by making reference to the role you're applying for.
5. Follow by composing a paragraph consisting of WHY you're right for the role - give examples of your skills, your experience to date in relation to the role. Include what you know about the business and why you are the right person for the job. Do you have any personal interests that would boost your application?
6. Further strengthen your application by including portfolio website or blog links - tailor to show work that is relevant to the business you're applying for, thus making you the right fit.
7. Close your letter - thank the recruiter for their time taken to read your application and say you look forward to hearing from them. Say you welcome the opportunity to meet in person.
8. Sign off - Always formally with "Yours Sincerely" with your full name and contact details.
Best of luck... and if you need any help in creating your own personal killer cover please do get in touch.